I have setup some policy routing at an edge router so that packets from
subnet X get one default route and all other packets gets a different
default route. This works fine for internet traffic but when trying to get
from subnet X to anywhere else on my own network it's broken. If I
explicitly add a policy route to the desired host it works so it seems that
the default route is sending ALL traffic to the gateway, not just packets
that don't have a route in the table already. I have verified that the
routes exist but unless I add a route with that packet mark specifically I
can't reach LAN hosts. Anything I'm missing or just not understanding about
policy routing and mangle?

-Ty