Choosing an OS and distribution
There are clearly many candidate operating systems to choose from, both free and
nonfree, as well as some commercial firewall appliances. We decided to go open source
(cheap) and multifunctional (real operating system). We considered several flavors of
Linux and one of BSD.

OpenBSD has the best security reputation of any operating system. However, we were
unfamiliar with it; it also has a reputation for being difficult to install.
Furthermore, the day-to-day administration of the firewall was to be the
responsibility of the client, and the staff there had no experience with BSD either.
We decided right away not to go with OpenBSD for those reasons. We intend to play with
OpenBSD ourselves before recommending it to our clients.

Red Hat was a tempting choice, since the old server already runs it and our client had
experience administering it. However, Red Hat is not a security-focused distribution.
In addition, Red Hat comes with lots of usability- and desktop-oriented software which
would just take up space (and create security holes) on a server. We decided not to go
with Red Hat for the firewall.

Immunix from Wirex Communications (see Resources for a link) looked like a very
promising candidate. The basic distribution is Red Hat 6.2, with all programs compiled
by the StackGuard compiler, which protects against most stack-based buffer overruns.
It does not prevent heap-based buffer overruns, however, and incurs a 10 percent
performance penalty due to the extra checking. Also, it includes all of the excess
software that comes with Red Hat. You also have to register before you can download
it. But the icing on the cake was that SubDomain and Cryptomark, two security
enhancements described on the Immunix Webpage, are "not quite ready for public
release" (emphasis in original). In other words, two thirds of the security package is
vaporware.

We liked the cute name of the Bastille distribution, but quickly found out that it
wasn't a distribution at all. Apparently, Bastille is a set of Perl scripts that you
run postinstall on your Linux system to beef up security. We want to run it on the
server after we install Linux.

After running that gauntlet of half-fixes, we were very pleased to find Trustix. It is
small and server-oriented -- it has no GUI, for example. The distribution includes
more secure versions of various services, including postfix for mail, and bsd-ftpd
instead of wu-ftpd. In fact, Trustix appeared to have no downside. We happily
proceeded with the install.