On Wed, 1 Dec 2004, Joseph Brennan wrote:

hosts and mail servers, but if the mail server reads .procmailrc
over NFS, users can therefore execute programs on the mail server
just by receiving mail.

This is, in fact, our setup.
In the past, we had too much trouble, e.g. ill-written scripts, that consumed lots of CPU and memory, even bouncers and other servers got invoked.
Actually, I'd stick message filtering to pick some proper maildrop directories and/or to forward to another mail address.

I considered to move the user .procmailrc's into some local place with web-interface and parse the contents prior installing it, e.g. to reject the conf file, when a '|' character is found; but I haven't tested the idea, yet.

Bye,

--
Steffen Kaiser