--On Thursday, December 02, 2004 4:30 PM -0500 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner.
Guess who gets eaten.

I've always loved that quote.

No, we're not vigilantes when we filter spam.

I stand corrected.

My concern with the term "vigilante" is only that it imbues additional legitimacy to actions taken by governments, and we just need to remember how fallible they are. I, too, believe in the rule of law, but I don't think individuals need be excluded from enforcing it. It's the law, not the choice of enforcer, that's important.

Again, it's what Lycos is doing (arguably illegal), not the fact that it's Lycos doing it, that's the problem.