Chris Gauch wrote:
Alan wrote:

One of the reasons I use 550 rejects for viruses is that I also scan
outgoing mail... so if by some chance one of my users gets infected with
a virus (regardless of the fact that we have desktop antivirus software
installed on all our machines as well as ClamAV on the MX server) and it
tries to send out using our mail gateway, the mail gateway will reject
that mail with a 550 and throw an error back to the client machine.

if the virus is in an attachment that they're legitimately trying to
send, they'll get an error message and then they'll undoubtedly come
crying to the helpdesk which will then kick them and tell them to run
the latest antivirus software/signatures.

While it certainly makes sense to reject viruses when scanning outgoing mail
from your own network, it's best to make sure that virus attachment is
removed prior to rejecting and generating the bounce.  We also used to do
the same thing (rejecting viruses) when it came to outbound mail from our
own mail server (which is completely separate from our MD/ClamAV (CanIt-PRO)
gateway cluster), where we run a commercial AV scanner.  In at least a dozen
or so situations early last year, we were basically rejecting viruses from
client PCs, but the ignorant users (who WERE NOT infected prior to receiving
the bounce), would open the attachments in the bounce and infect their PCs,
spreading the virus like wild fire. Let me explain...

I'm not generating bounces... i'm merely 550 rejecting ... which is fine in my situation because it's the SMTP outgoing gateway machine that is rejecting the contect coming directly from the client machine. (which is on our local network) ... so, what happens is, the user (on said client machine) writes email, attaches a file, hits send, gets a popup windows that says "ERROR 550 YOUR MESSAGE CONTAINS A VIRUS" and doesn't go beyond that point until they either a) figure it out themselves and run their anti-virus scanner or (more likely) b) contact our helpdesk and admit that they don't know enough to really be allowed to touch a computer even indirectly connected to the internet. then our help desk eraddicates the virus or tells the user they're SOL.

no bounces (aka DSN or NDN) involved.

we have instituted a no MS internet software policy, but it doesn't necessarily mean that someone's not going to open OE or IE out of habit or just cuz they think they know what they're doing.

Also, one point that has been glazed over in this entire thread is that email is not the only way for these machines to be infected with viruses, and the user doesn't even have to be a complete moron to become infected any longer. Especially with exploits in which all you have to do is open the wrong URL, without knowing it or any indication on the site itself, just that one little act can infect your machine. nothing to do with mail.

right or wrong, i don't think either solution really adds any more to the problem, nor does it really remove anything from the problem. I think what these solutions do is change the way the problem is perceived by the people that are directly affected by the implementation of these solutions.

if AV scanners were absolutely, without a doubt 100% reliable, that would be a different story. if there were NO OTHER WAYS to contract these viruses, it would be a different story. if there weren't other legitimate causes for DSNs, NDN, or whathave you, then the argument would hold more weight.

As it stands, obviously, my solution isn't appropriate for everyone, but it is most appropriate for me. my solution is rejection (not bouncing). my solution can have some adverse effects on other people as a result of someone else's malicious software, true. so does yours. just in a different way.

I take the stand (as others on the list also have) that I am not, and can not be responsible for everyone I come into contact with either directly or indirectly. As much as I would like to help everyone, i'm neither qualified, nor is it entirely appropriate. At a certain point, people need to take responsibility for themselves. That includes being responsible for what they do and/or do not tolerate, how they deal with those things that they find they are unable to tolerate, and how to alter their environment so that they can protect themselves from those things they are unable to tolerate.

The argument that i've seen here has been two-in-one. the first is that discarding is better than rejecting. for some, that is true and appropriate. the second, parallel argument is that the reason to discard is because people other than [insert admin/implementing authority/etc. here] are unable to accept or even understand responsibility for themselves and that we (the mail admin community) must accept responsibility for them and every other netizen instead of educating them as necessary for them to accept responsibility. This is the role of an enabler and I personally don't buy into it.

It's not always *easy* to do what's truely "right", but in the long run it's usually worth the extra effort.

anyways, i think i'm done ranting now. I think the point has been driven pretty hard into the ground and the horse may actually be dead now.

alan

[snip]