Gordon Henderson wrote:

So what I do and just use Debian as a bootstrap mechanism - put sendmail
on hold once it's installed, then just compile up a standard sendmail,
mimedefang, SA, *sql, apache, php, etc. rather than use the packages.

I did this with sendmail on a RH box (partially because I needed a couple of compile-time options that weren't included in the RPM), until I needed to install a package where the RPM included sendmail in the dependencies list. (And it wasn't until some time later that I discovered RPM's "force" option).

At that point, I took the time to learn how to install sendmail by building from RPM source.

Smith