Dave Williss wrote:

I think to myself... If I go out of my way to block spam, I'm probably NOT going to be inclined to buy anything from a spammer anyway. So why do they bother?

Spam is usually blocked by sysadmins. They are attempting to bypass that and reach end users that might be inclined to click on the message. It's like those "no soliciting" signs on doors (on both private properties and bussinesses). From time to time you get uninvited salesman ignoring the sign, trying out his luck. Anyhow, it doesn't cost a thing, so why not try it.