Kenneth Porter wrote:
A spam filter, like an anti virus, must be constantly updated to match the spam that comes in. It's not something you install and forget about. I'd recommend updating SA to 3.1.0 to get better results.

FWIW, I'm still happily using SA 2.64 on three systems for two reasons:
1) Spam detection rates are still very good. (~98%+ at a loose off-the-cuff guesstimate) 2) The system load for SA3.x is unacceptable on at least two of the three systems.

(The systems are: my own personal server, with per-user almost everything; the legacy spam filter server, with per-user AWL and white/blacklists with global Bayes; and the legacy domain hosting server with global everything called from MIMEDefang.)

All three have had the SpamCop URIRBL patch added for URIRBL support, which is probably a big part of why all three systems are running well and catching spam.

All three receive fairly regular hand-verified Bayes training (mostly on FNs).

In a few rare cases where a persistent spam run simply will NOT go away, I'll manually analyze a set of spams and tweak, modify, or add a rule. I haven't made use of third-party rulesets because of the memory and CPU limits on the servers at work.

That said, there *is* IIRC a known DoS flaw in SA 3.0.3; upgrade to 3.0.4 at least.

-kgd