BTW, is there a straightforward way to read the sendmail aliases and virtusertable maps from MD? I can quickly exclude all addresses that match non-wildcard entries, and then just focus on those that hit the wildcard one.

I would say no. The ways of sendmail.mc's working are impressively complex and not for the external analysis IMO.

However, my thought (probably suggested by DFS if memory serves) has been to use sendmail -bv

sendmail -bv kmcgrail
kmcgrail... deliverable: mailer local, user kmcgrail

sendmail -bv kevin.mcgrail
kevin.mcgrail... User unknown

sendmail -bv [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] deliverable: mailer local, user kmcgrail

sendmail -bv [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED] deliverable: mailer local, user kmcgrail

Regards,
KAM