On 1/14/2010 10:05 AM, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:
"David F. Skoll"<d...@roaringpenguin.com>  wrote:
wbr...@e1b.org wrote:

Why shouldn't I find some honey-pot addresses and submit submit them to
subscribe?

Because, IMO, that subverts the purpose of honeypots.  A honeypot
is designed as a passive spammer attractor; actively subscribing
someone is a no-no.

But actively un-subscribing not subscribed email addresses is OK
=>  as far as I have heard the effect is almost identical :-)

It's not the effect that's at issue, it's the process.

The whole point of a honeypot is that you have a guarantee that no one has ever requested that mail go to that address, so any mail sent there is unsolicited by definition.

If you subscribe an address to a list, then *you* have solicited mail for that address. As a result, your data is no longer reliable, because at least some of that mail coming into that address is mail that you requested.

OTOH, if you actively *unsubscribe* an address, then you have specifically requested that mail *not* go there. If they turn around and use that information to put the address on one of their lists, then you've caught them violating your request. It's still unsolicited, so it's valid data.

--
Kelson Vibber