Hi David,

Sendmail running in background and checking its spool dir periodically for deliver , and starting its sending (depend on routing configuration such as direcly or relay).
In my case, it's relay.

MIMEDefang can check the message during relay phase. This is the ability of Milter.
I see this flow in MIMEDefang slides from their website.

This is all my understanding. Is it right?