Chip wrote:
Newbie excited to use the features of mimedefang for a new project that
needs to flag inbound email for sorting into folders  (this can be done
via cpanel-level filtering) based on keywords in headers.

MIMEDefang would be a powerful point of access, but it's not very user-accessible when you need to make changes. Mail sorting is IMO best done purely on delivery with procmail, sieve, or some other similar system that runs on per-user final delivery.

Why add new flags to a message with MIMEDefang? I'd imagine that whatever system cPanel uses, you should be able to set up suitable filters directly off the original information rather than do all the extra work adding reformatted duplicate information.

This is a Centos 6.9 machine running cpanel/WHM 11.68.0.23.

Running "rpm -q sendmail postfix exim" show sendmail is not installed
yet there is a sendmail binary in /usr/sbin/sendmail.  No sendmail.mc
anywhere in system.

"/usr/bin/sendmail" is considered a generic interface for local programs to inject mail into the local mail system, whatever MTA is actually in use. It's generally a symlink to the MTA-specific version.

Exim version 4.89_1

Very broad question here: given the above information can this be done
on this machine with the existing software?

No. MIMEDefang requires an MTA that supports the "milter" mail filtering interface, which Exim doesn't support last I checked. To my knowledge only sendmail (which originated the interface) and Postfix support milters.

-kgd