Hi again,

> I agree that the declaration of alarm is a way "not telling truth"
> here,  but I found some applications, which are dependent to
> such a "not honest" way.

I find it surprising that they actually work with such a trick, but
there always are interesting surprises in porting ...

> I could agree to remove the declaration from headerset by using a
> macro clause '__MINGW_POSIX_ALARM' (in io.h). The declaration of
> SIGALRM I  dislike to remove, but if it is necessary to remove this
> define,  please describe me the reason more detailed.

Actually, openssl is using availability of SIGALRM to decide between
alarm-based implementation and a replacement, so removing alarm
itself doens't really help. Anyway, now that I know which way to go,
I can also suggest to patch openssl in such a way as to simply
#undef SIGALRM for mingw-w64 instead of including the header
needed for the dummy "alarm" implementation.

Something different:
Why are there both
  /home/mingw-w64/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-mingw32/4.4.0/include/float.h
  /home/mingw-w64/x86_64-pc-mingw32/include/float.h
(at least in the linux 32-bit package I'm using for cross-compilation)
with only the last containing prototypes for _finite and a couple
of other functions, but the first being the one that's found and used
by the compiler?
It's causing the current compile failure of wxWidgets (trunk) visible
on that daily rebuild page (at least until the next recompile, I've
added a hack to my local mingw-w64-headers to work around
that problem)...

          Regards,
                   Stefan

P.P.S.: Concerning that type of the return value of the thread function,
           I mentioned in some old mail,  your software was right and wx
           was wrong (has been fixed in the meantime...).