1) Put the "AC_MSG_CHECKING" at the beginning, before you start the checking.
2) Features like this should be an "enable" thing, not a "with" thing.
 "with" things are more for external tools.
3) Keep the same formatting that's elsewhere in the file, or otherwise
change the whole file.  For instance, look at the formatting and
indentation of other HELP_STRING instances.
4) You mention CPPFLAGS in your comment, but it's not used for this
kind of stuff
5) You deal with CXXFLAGS -- Where do we use C++?  We may definitely
do it.. I don't remember
6) This line in Makefile.am is probably wrong:
+am_cxxfla...@add_cxx_only_warning_flags@ @ADD_CXX_ONLY_WARNING_FLAGS@

One of those should probably be ADD_C_CXX...

7) This line should really be a part of the "action if given" /
"action if not given" section of the option string handler, to be
consistent with the rest of the file:

+AS_IF([test "$warning_level" == yes], [warning_level=3], [test
"$warning_level" == no], [warning_level=0])

For instance, instead of "+            [warning_level=$withval],",
just operate on withval directly:

[AS_IF([test "$withval" == yes], [warning_level=3],[warning_level=$withval])],

Same for the action if not given, and withval = no.

Also, as before, follow the formatting of the rest of the file
regarding indentation.

On a more general note, I'm wondering if there isn't a better way to
compute all of this in Makefile.am.  Automake supports conditionals,
which makes the additive nature of successive levels much more simply
handled there.  The idea is that you should keep configure stuff in
configure, and make stuff in make.