On 9/14/2009 02:46, Wolfgang Glas wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>    After getting our clazzes.org PPA
> (https://www.launchpad.net/~clazzes.org/+archive/ppa) seeded with many
> backported libraries, I was finally able to release a cross-compiled qt-4.5.2
> version for win32 and win64.
>
>    There are a number of patches needed to get the beast compiled, all of
> these
> may be found in our svn repository, which may be browsed under
>
>    http://svn.clazzes.org/svn/mingw-pkg/trunk/mingw-w64-deb
>
>    The mileage up to know is quite mixed, Qt Designer is running well, othe
> simple Qt examples are crashing by now.
>
>    For earlier posting I suppose, that these crashes might be caused by bug of
> the binutils version released together with mingw-w64-src-4.4.0-1.

Hi,
mingw-w64 is about to release GCC 4.4.2, which contains many needed
bugfixes.

>    I was trying to find a download URL for newer binutils, but there seems to
> be
> a great confusion about binutils version numbers. The last officially released
> binutils version is 2.19.1, redhat seems to distribute snapshot with version
> numbers like 2.19.51.
>
>    So could somebody please shed more light on the scenery and recommend a
> last-know-good-for-mingw-w64 binutils source download?

Sourceware binutils CVS HEAD is generally stable. Version numbers like
2.20.51 are development snapshots (the HEAD snapshots gets updated
daily), while 2.19.1 is a released to the public version.

Using a cross build environment, you can easily install an earlier
revision of binutils if the newer version breaks.

Of course, I wouldn't recommend using CVS HEAD in a production
environment, but the released version contains some known bugs as well.

>    Using debian packaging I may easily switch from one binutils version to
> another and compare the results and will send a report on the stability of the
> generated packages to the list.

Thanks.