On 8/8/2011 23:14, Ruben Van Boxem wrote:

>>> Not all downstream packages or users play well with the prefixing
>>>

>>> http://hg.python.org/cpython/file/4feb889d3bed/Lib/distutils/cygwinccompiler.py#l296
>>>
>>> and when building packages that do play well
>>>
>>>   http://code.google.com/p/vim/source/browse/src/Make_ming.mak#317
>>>
>>> it's unnecessarily cumbursome (and an unexpected cross compile when
>>> building-for-win-on-win) to have to have to build like the following
>>>
>>>   make -f Make_mingw.mak gvim.exe xxd/xxd.exe CC=i686-w64-mingw32-gcc
>>> WINDRES=i686-w64-mingw32-windres
>>
>> Heh, the solution is to use autotools, all the way, never compromise on
>> quality. There are a lot of packages too pretentious to use autotools...
>
> Bull shit. Hardly a solution.
> Sorry for the direct words, but you can't possibly force autotools on
> the world. I hate it, for one, and that isn't going to change soon. It
> sucks and is slow/unusable on MSYS.

The key is that it is actually USABLE. Unlike custom makefiles, you
don't need to dive in and hand edit things to make it cross compile. A
hand written makefile will always make assumptions on the build system,
this is never good for portability.

I still can't understand why somebody would hand write Makefiles for
anything marginally complex (or a whole new build system).

> I never got build systems that rely on a shell plus all tools being
> present. Autotools+MSVC is also a big nogo. Unless your name is
> Mozilla.

I don't know about you, but it works very nicely just about anywhere if
you already using the gnu toolchain with gnu userland (I can't say for
MSVC, but libtool already has some support for it). Just use the --host
option to cross compile, no need to fiddle about. For an easy to use
gnuland on Windows, try Cygwin, just point and click to install your tools.

MSVC doesn't do cross platform compiles anyway, so autotools there would
not be as relevant.