Hi,

C++11 adds "unicode string literals" which allow one to write code like
this: http://ideone.com/mGSww
(which should prints the Greek letter "beta" if your console font supports
it)

I tried this (with a decent console font like Lucida Console) and it
doesn't work for any MinGW-w64/GCC version I have (4.4-4.5-4.6-4.7)... The
std::wcout alternative doesn't work either.

Additionally, MSVC also outputs nothing. Yet, if I type "echo β*"* in cmd,
it prints the right letter (so the font supports it).

What's more, using the WriteConsoleW function, everything works:

#include <windows.h>
int main()
{ HANDLE stdout = GetStdHandle(STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE);
DWORD n;
WriteConsoleW( stdout, L"\u03B2", 1, &n, NULL ); }

What's up with that?

Ruben