So, lately there's been some discussion relating to MSVC support in libmingwex.

Yes, I've been busy lately. And frankly, I stopped caring too, but people
complained, so here's an email to the mailing list as people have requested.
The goal of this email to to iron out design issues before actually deciding
on an approach for the patches. People have suggested libmingwex-msvc.a, and
I think wholeheartedly believe this is wrong.

There are some things I want to note about the things I reverted or changed[1]:

- The ld hack. Seriously, what was the last version of ld that needed this?
  Hell, the comment said it shoudl be removed 'soon' (for various definitions
  of 'soon'). It breaks MSVC, and was a workaround for a bug in ld, and I don't
  think it has a place in MinGW.
- The rest of the commits all address one issue: Someone introduced a dependency
  on libmingw32 into libmingwex. This is bad design and, as far as im concerned,
  wrong. I'd like to discuss the best way to handle fixing this-- that is, if I
  don't get flamed into oblivion first.
- Somebody mentioned that there is a plan to start reimplementing msvcrt
  functionality in libmingwex, and thus it will break linkign again. This is
  wrong in so many ways. Let me quote wikipedia: "These issues have been
  partially mitigated by the implementation of a C99 compatibility library,
  libmingwex, [...]". Yes. libmingwex is a -compatability library-, and
  absolutely the wrong place to do this.
- There's also complainst that one function I reverted makes C99 math slower.
  This may be true, but the only part that needs to be fixed is the added
  dependency on '__mingw_raise_matherr', which isnt related to performance. I
  just reverted the whole thing since I was too lazy to properly fix it. I will
  do this properly if we can come to a consensus on a sane fix.

The goal of this email is to open a dialogue. I hope everybody tones down their
use of crazy pills[2] when replying.

Feel free to point out any errors on my end.

- Derek

[1] https://github.com/dwbuiten/MinGW-w64/compare/master...HACKS
[2] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG7LjVCj50Y