On 07/12/12 23:30, Ozkan Sezer wrote:
> On 7/12/12, Corinna Vinschen <vinsc...@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> unused so far, but that's the obvious starting point for the entire
>> operation as discussed on IRC.
>>

>> Corinna
>>

>>      * _mingw.h.in (__32LONG): Define.  Explain what it's good for.
>>
> Any specific reason not to name it __LONG32 or something?
>
> Maybe Jacek has something to say, too:  the directx headers from Wine
> somewhat recently started using __MSABI_LONG for a similar purpose
> (i.e. not as a type, but for type suffix, e.g. 1L vs. __MSABI_LONG(1))

I already said it on IRC a few times, but maybe it's worth concluding
here. Wine had exactly the same problem as Cygwin had. However, in Wine,
instead of inventing new extensions, we reused already existing, well
known LONG and ULONG win32 types and replaced all usages of long by
those. I proposed the same for mingw-w64, but Kai didn't really like it.
The main (only?) reason was that for C++ typedefs are not exactly the
same as not typedefed types. However for majority of cases it doesn't
matter in our headers. In fact, I can't think of single case in headers
where it would cause the problem.

The other truth is something others may not have realized before: big
parts of headers are already using Wine's scheme and that decision
predates me being involved in mingw-w64. Ever since you started
importing stuff from Wine, you've made this solution acceptable for the
project (at least for imported headers). And yet it is in the tree for a
few years now and I haven't heard of a single problem.

That said, I'm fine with whatever you decide to do, but keep in mind
that LONG/ULONG is already present in the tree and is not going to go
away, so please be aware that two different solutions are going to be
present in the tree.

BTW, __MSABI_LONG is for constants and they indeed have a
non-theoretical effect on C++.

Cheers,
Jacek