On Wed, Oct 24, 2012 at 3:19 PM, Kai Tietz <ktiet...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I want to raise this discussion on public mailing-list, as mingw-w64's
> release-cycle might be also of interest to some of our users.  Right
> now we do the major-release by gut feeling with a background plan
> about features new version shall include.   Now I got the request to
> do major release like some other ventures - eg gcc, binutils - after a
> fixed time-line.  For example if we would decide for a one-year
> release-cycle, it would Mean that we work about 6 - 8 months on new
> features, then we switch to stabelizing phase for 3 months, and then
> doing major-version branching and doing just bug-fixing on that
> branch.
> Another approach would be to do branching only if we are
> feature-complete for one version.  That of course means we should
> switch from gut-feeling to more detailed feature-plan.
>
> So I would like to get your opinion.  You might have complete
> different opinion about planning mingw-w64's release-cycles, so don't
> hesitate to tell us what you think about this subject.

It probably makes the most sense to make a release when a new feature
goes into the stable branch.  We don't do enough work to justify
following the gcc timeline model (which in actuality is not time based
anyway).  For comparison purposes, gcc gets between 50 and 150 svn
commits a day.  We see 5-10.  We are a small project.

We should focus on features.  If I'm working on feature X, when that's
done should be the trigger for a release.  Each feature will trigger
its own release, within reason (obviously if two people put their
features into stable at the same time, you don't need two releases...)
 The point is that we aren't churning out new features every week or
month.

Now.... that said.... we could definitely benefit from higher
visibility as to what features are in the works.  That way, the
release manager (Ozkan) can know what's coming and what he should be
waiting for.  For instance, he'll be able to decide what to do when no
feature is in the pipeline for an amount of time, and maybe he wants
to checkpoint things after 6 months.

We need the flexibility to make releases when appropriate.