So, I have just installed Ruebens personal build (version 4.6.3) on fresh
install of Ubuntu 10.04 LTS.  The directories you mention are in the
/opt/mingw64/x86_64-w64-
mingw32 directory where I extracted the tarbal.  I also put this directory
in my path. If this is not the proper procedure to install the tool chain
please let me know.

Now, when I use ./configure --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32, I get a curious
message during configure and on line 105 of the config.log which is,
checking whether we are cross compiling... no,  makes me believe the cross
compiler isn't working.  Also after running make there is no significant
build event occurring.  What must I do to get this to work?

Thank you.