On Fri, Mar 29, 2013 at 8:55 AM, LRN wrote:

>>> I am not looking forward to be providing --build to every
>>> configure scrip in every package for the rest of my natural
>>> life. I started up the whole "make a native mingw-w64 compiler"
>>> affair precisely because i just wanted to say "gcc",
>>> "./configure - --prefix=/mingw" and "make", without pretending
>>> that i'm cross-compiling (and without actually cross-compilin).
>>
>> You can set MSYSTEM environment variable to what you want and uname
>> return it For example: export MSYSTEM=MINGW64 uname -a Returning
>> MINGW64_NT-6.1
> Toolchain should be usable without changes to the environment (system
> or user), or changes to MSYS initialization scripts.
> config.guess is perfectly capable of testing the compiler, and already
> does that in some cases where uname is not enough.

Caution: MSYSTEM=MINGW64 will be used for identifying
i86_64-pc-mingw64 in config.guess; I submitted a patch for it to the
maintainers of config.guess and config.sub last year.

MSYSTEM=MINGW-W64 is what this should be set to for that project!

> Also, if MSYSTEM is user-changeable (it is), then patching
> config.guess to rely on MSYSTEM is not a good decision. config.guess
> should not rely on random user-defined strings to detect the system
> triplet.

Correct!!  The correct thing would be to correct config.guess based on
the uname -s value.  Be more specific.  But also be sure you have the
most current config.guess from the repository and not one from some
package.  Currently config.guess is looking at mingw* to identify the
system.  Clearly a mingw-w64 needs some attention and care in
config.guess and config.sub.

--
Earnie