On 4/2/2013 20:05, Ruben Van Boxem wrote:
> If you want a static winpthreads but shared libgcc/libstdc++, you'll need
> to remove libwinpthread.dll.a from your toolchain directory. Your mileage
> may vary. Note my current builds only work with -static, I omitted the
> known fix for this issue from my recent builds.

You might end up with weird behavior if you mix thread handles about,
seeing that you now have 2 or more winpthreads instances, one in the
libstdc++ DLL, and others in your statically linked code.

Imagine if each DLL you used had their own statically linked instances.
It might work if the interfaces are rock solid without any
implementation detail leaks and/or depend on any static init variables
that may subject to race conditions.

If you want static, it is best to use static for everything.

>> Would having one build with winpthreads bundled into the libstdc++.dll (or
>> whatever it is) not work?
>>

> Sure, it might work, but I'm no going to hack that into GCC's brittle build
> system.

Likewise, never a good idea to mix static/shared, it may cause ODR
violation.