Was curious if any other developers on this list were into porting
applications from other platforms.  Would like to compare notes with other
developers.  For instance, I built the X11 libraries and XWin server
(natively not in Cygwin) and now that I'm checking some of the other
libraries/applications that previously built fine, they seem to be
colliding with some of the X11 header files.  One example, I'm currently
looking at graphicsmagick and there are some issues between the X11 header
files and the windows ones.  It would be nice to use some of the extra
features graphicsmagick only has if X11 is available.  Would be very
interested in discussing porting issues and strategies in general for
getting cross-platform applications to build on Windows.

I'm currently using msys as my build environment, but am trying to replace
pieces of it with more native programs.  Hope to eventually replace all of
it.  Anyone have any suggestions for programs that might replace some of
the functionality of msys based applications?  I did run across tools and
utilities like Unxutls and a Busybox port for Win32 (
https://github.com/pclouds/busybox-w32 ).  Looked at the Heirloom Project (
http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/ ) and even managed to get a few utilities
from it running, but it's highly dependent on Posix conventions.  As to
shells, haven't found a good replacement yet.  There's winbash (
http://win-bash.sourceforge.net/ ), bash for windows (
http://www.steve.org.uk/Software/bash/ ) which I believe uses Cygwin dlls,
and there's even a port of bash to DOS using djgpp.  Still checking into
what alternative might work best.  If you have other suggestions, would be
interested in hearing them.  Thanks.

Sincerely,
Laura
http://www.distasis.com/cpp