Hi,

I've uploaded a new version of that page:
  http://notk.org/~adrien/picker.php

As you'll see, quite a lot of things have changed and the page should
feel lighter and more intuitive. Some of the new data isn't completely
right and there are a few cosmetics change to do. Apart from that, I
hope you will find it is a big step in the right direction and that the
UI layout is good.

(also, the block of text at the top with explanations has grown a bit
more than expected but that's easy to change)

On Thu, May 30, 2013, Ruben Van Boxem wrote:
> Let's get things straight: the number of Linux distros providing a
> MinGW-w64 toolchain is only going to keep increasing (currently:
> Debian+derivatives, Ubuntu+derivatives Fedora+relatives, OpenSUSE, Arch,
> gentoo, etc...) I don't see any of these have much interest in keeping yet
> another web page in sync. I'm sure there will be exceptions, but you can't
> rely on exceptions. Besides, they all have their own package management
> functions that might advertise mingw-w64 in one way or another depending on
> a user search. Linux users don't typically use google to find their
> packages. This whole updating becomes even more undoable when you factor in
> 3rd party packages, which a distro may or may not provide, and update.
>
> I'm just trying to warn you for trying the nigh impossible for IMHO little
> value.

So far this hasn't been a concern.
I can't predict how things will evolve and I'm not expecting them to
stay the same forever but I think it's better to just wait and see.

> > As for the additional softwares, I strongly believe they matter. C++
> > makes this even more important because of the incompatible exception
> > handling mechanisms.
> > I've also never enjoyed having to hunt for unreliable prebuilt binaries
> > on tens of websites and software authors don't usually enjoy having to
> > build binaries themselves either (tbh, I've seen reactions vary between
> > disliking it, hating it and despising it).
> >

> I think the regular MinGW(-w64) developer will either be or become quickly
> accustomed to building all his/her dependencies from source. Granted,
> that's far from ideal, but there'd need to be a huge packaging effort to
> remedy this.

That packaging effort is actually there and with some care it has been
possible to reuse OpenSuSe's well-tested packages for years now.
Building takes time, especially on msys and cygwin. Doing it by hand
also means that upgrading to a newer version or removing a library is
very painful.
I truly believe it's the way to go. I hope that with my latest changes
to the page, the (fairly long) list of packages is now nicer.