Please review the new patch

Well, we got your good news and your bad news.

On the plus side, this patch fixes the problem I was seeing with -Os. On the downside, my "release" build script also uses -fwhole-program. This is giving me a link error:

/undefined reference to `_imp__InterlockedExchange@8.constprop.0'/

I'm using 4.8.1. The minimal set of compile switches to see this problems seems to be: -Os -fwhole-program

Examining the object files with a hex editor, I see that -O1 (which works) has symbols for both _InterlockedExchange@8 and __imp__InterlockedExchange@8. -Os has _InterlockedExchange@8.constprop.0 and __imp__InterlockedExchange@8.constprop.0.

Something is getting tangled here, but I'm not quite sure what.

dw