> With this specific define set the boost package can indeed be compiled
> without issues (for both the x86 and x64 targets).

Yay!

> However, there's a catch! The boost build system doesn't embed this
> specific define in its installed headers. It expects that all
> boost-using projects (like qpid-cpp) also have this BOOST_USE_WINDOWS_H
> define set otherwise it will also cause build failures there.

I don't know squat about boost.  But it seems like building boost with
one set of options, then building downstream projects that use boost
with a different set of options is a bad idea.  If defining
BOOST_USE_WINDOWS_H is what's needed to work with our v3, this doesn't
seem to me like an unreasonable burden.  Especially when it also gains
them performance improvements.

dw