On 08.09.2013 19:08, wynfi...@gmail.com wrote:

> IS there a recommended way to keep Microsoft Windows related code and
> libraries isolated from cygwin dependent code and libraries?
Yes, keep them in different directories.

> I am using "/bin/i686-w64-mingw32-gcc"  etc, which came from cygwin's
> setup program.
That's a cygwin mingw-w64 cross-compiler (runs in Cygwin, compiles for W32).

> I created a development directory /msys     short for Microsoft
> system
Bad name. MSYS usually stands for "Minimal SYStem" (and a piece of
software with that name already exists).

> My concern is in building a program that I'd get a result (since
> using cygwin environemetn) and getting a result that depends on the
> cygdll.
A cross-compiler will not (should not) produce binaries that depend on
cygwin dll. If it does, it's a bug.

>   I assume that mingw does use posix file pathnames.
It doesn't. W32 apps do not understand names that start with a single
slash. Cygwin mingw-w64 cross-compiler is not a pure W32 app, however,
and does understand them.

> I need to to install a MS Windows perl interpreter.
Why? You have Cygwin perl, it works well enough.

>  Does anyone have
> recommendations here.  Preferable one which will accept posix
> pathnames and convert them to MS Windows based one if necessary.
That's Cygwin perl.

AFAIU you will have to cross-compile everything. You should probably
create a /mingw dir and configure everything with --prefix=/mingw
However, there's an issue of your cross-compiler finding the right
stuff. I don't know where it looks for headers and libs.
Try running `echo | i686-w64-mingw32-gcc -E -V -' to see where it gets
headers from, and `i686-w64-mingw32-gcc -print-search-dirs' to see where
it gets libraries from. A common root of both dirs would be your mingw
directory.

You'll get better answer from Cygwin folks.

- --
O< ascii ribbon - stop html email! - www.asciiribbon.org