Corinna Vinschen <vinsc...@redhat.com>
writes:

> On Nov 12 13:59, Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>>
>> $ du -sh /lib/git-core
>> 13M     /lib/git-core
>>
>> Windows Explorer says that d:/msys32/lib/git-core uses 169 MB. Obviously
>> `du' is wrong because that directory contains lots of executables, using
>> 1.5 MB each.
>
> No, Windows Explorer is wrong.  It doesn't grok the concept of
> hardlinks, even though NTFS supports them since its birth in the last
> century.

I thought of links too, but MSYS2 `ls -l' command doesn't show anything
that could indicate its existence. But then I learnt that hardlinks
aren't displayed by `ln -l'. `ln -i' indeed shows the same number for
each identical file. Thanks Corinna for putting me on the right track.

Is this new on MSYS2 or MSYS already had the capability of creating hard
links?

BTW, `dir' command on the Windows shell doesn't know about hardlinks
either :-/

Saving so much space is another point in favor of pacman, because
downloading tarballs and installing with `tar' doesn't create those
hardlinks, does it?