2013/11/13 ResQue <resque1...@gmail.com>

>  what is the difference between x32-msys2-20131003.tar.xz and
> msys2-base-i686-20131112.tar.xz?
>
> I noticed that the new version has pacman and the older version does not.
> But the older version seems to have a lot more files in there like GIT and
> is more than twice the size.
>
> Base here is similar to minimal. It go with small set of utils that only
need for properly functional msys.
x32-msys2-20131003.tar.xz archive contain all packages installed but
without pacman and you cannot upgrade packages in future to new versions.

> Maybe the new version is some kind of basic/base package as it has base in
> the name? and as such you must download the other packages individually?

If you got msys-base then all other packages you can install manually using
pacman.
First, synchronize package DB with "pacman -Sy"
Then you can install package by "pacman -S <package name>"

Regards,
Alexey.