2013/11/23 Suresh Govindachar <sgovindac...@yahoo.com>

> Hello,
>
> I came across "Utilities and SDK for Subsystem for UNIX-based
> Applications in Microsoft Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2" that
> includes, among other things, SVR-5 Utilities, GNU SDK, GNU Utilities,
> and UNIX Perl [sic]
> http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=2391
>
> Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpXkzZyrIbg
>
> Has anyone tried the above?  Any comments?

The Unix subsystem hasn't been updated in years, and ships very old
utilities for an undeveloped posix subsystem in Windows. At it's heart,
it's brilliant, tying into Windows at such a low level that it manages to
pull out the most performant posix compatibility that is possible on
Windows. Problem is, it's been left to rot by MS for a long time so I'm not
sure how it compares to stuff like Cygwin and MSYS (if you only need a
shell).

I never got it functioning correctly, and it's terrible to use at best due
to its age. For everything it provides, there are free and more
user-friendly alternatives.

Note: this is my personal opinion on my experience with it. Perhaps
professionals who have really applied it for more than trial runs have
different experiences.

Cheers,

Ruben