Yes (unless you're running it inside in an emulator ;)

> Does which install is chosen ONLY effect the actual running of the tools
> themselves on the HOST machine or does it have any influence on what the
> tools build and link - ie: what compile targets are built and what libraries
> are
> present and/or linked with?

The bitness in the installer first of all says how the _toolchain_ is compiled.
By default the toolchain will also generate code for the same bitness (
32 bit gcc toolchain will generate 32 bit applications, a 64 bit gcc toolchain
will generate
64 bit applications), but gcc is also able to work as a cross-compiler (-m64
-m32 gcc arguments).
I don't think all toolchains support this though, you'd have to check. Last
time I tried the mingw-builds
toolchains supported this.

> Or is what target is built 100% selected by the build scripts coded to use the
> tools?
>
> Related, Will both versions run underneath 32 bit shells or interpreters like
> ant, make, or ruby that may be 32 bit executables themselves yet running on
> a 64 bit OS?

Yes.

> If there is a difference in the output targets, can one install BOTH versions
> in
> the same install directory (ie: can then unzip on either a
> 32 or 64 bit machine and the proper libraries/dlls for runtime are lanuched by
> the master .exe or does one have two installs and select which one to use by
> setting the path appropriately?

The master.exe determines the bitness. You can't AFAIK mix 32 bit libraries
with 64 bit executables under Windows, or the other way round.

> Hope this isn't too messy a set of questions :)  I just didn't see any
> explicit
> mention of it.

Regards

Kai