Hi Ray,

On Tue, Oct 21, 2014, Ray Donnelly wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM, JonY <jo...@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Do you mind writing better comments for the patch? A single line
> >> followed by a blank line and then a longer description.
> >>

> > Ignore the C11 part and mingw-w64-crt, a better description for git
> > should be fine.
> >

> Thanks Jon,
>
> For my patch, "Comments welcome." wasn't the commit message :-)
>
> >From the patch itself:
>
> <commit message>
> "localtime_r guard to _POSIX or _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS
>
> >From http://www.unix.org/whitepapers/reentrant.html
>
> "This is accomplished in the standard by associating the reentrancy
> specifications with a separate option, {_POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS},
> which is declared to be mandatory for implementations supporting the
> threads option"
>
> In pthread_unistd.h we define:
>
> _POSIX_THREAD_SAFE_FUNCTIONS 200112L"
> </commit message>
>
> .. for the previous patch by Martell, perhaps I should add the
> following comment:
>
> "Remove localtime_r from pthread.h which was a legacy hack for
> compatibility with pthreads-win32. time.h is a more correct place for
> localtime*, both for _POSIX compliance (
> http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/localtime.html
> ) and MS for compatibility (
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bf12f0hc(v=vs.80).aspx ) "
>
> Let me know and I'll get on it.

I also mentionned the need of a better commit message on IRC. My concern
is that since it will probably break some programs, having a
particularly good commit message was important because it is likely many
people will read it.

The comment you just mentioned is good. I think I'd also like to see a
mention of how to be able to either avoid getting localtime_r or making
sure it is available.

Thanks,
Adrien Nader