Hi,

I've just pushed a redirect from http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net to
http://mingw-w64.yaxm.org in order to serve a new website.

I have been taking care of the website for at least a couple years now.
Not that I particularly enjoy doing PHP, CSS and Javascript but there
was a need. However I suck at design and I had very little time
available, which meant all the changes I could do were minimal.

Last week I finally bit the bullet and spent half a day assessing
whether something based on dokuwiki could work and then spent a day
moving the data from the website to that dokuwiki and tweak its them and
plugins.
This was discussed a bit over IRC and the switch has been hurried by the
release of 4.0: I was feeling miserable each time I had to update
anything on the website and I really didn't feel like taking one hour
just to add a section to the existing layout, especially knowing the
website replacement was going to occur soon.

The now-old website is still available, only masked through a redirect.
Please speak up if you are not pleased with the new one.

One notable change is that the website is not served through
sourceforge.net anymore. I had started with everything on SF but more
often than not, the pages would fail to load. Unfortunately this means
there is a user-visible redirection on a temporary subdomain; this is
expected to remain for one month at most.

NB: this does not change anything else; nothing but the website that has
been visible on http://mingw-w64.sourceforge.net changes.

The wiki from sourceforge is going to be abandoned. Well. Noone has
touched wiki2 since it was set up a year ago so it's not a big loss.
Dokuwiki should be a nicer place for wiki changes (faster, cuter, and
fully integrated into the website obviously).
The only minor downside currently is that users cannot register
themselves to change the website. This is minor since I can do it on
request and because the set of pages that is currently up will not be
editable by most people anyway (i.e. main page, downloads). This will
be fixed.

On a final note I'd like to thank the author of the initial mingw-w64
website. As far as I remember he had a company named CodeCamel but
currently the website is MIA but the domain name has been parked with
seemingly-innocuous link spam. That website has served mingw-w64 well
for around 5 years.
Its replacement did not happen out of discontent but because a lot has
happened over these 5 years, both the web (mobile, many new viewport
sizes, saner browsers, ...) and for mingw-w64 (so many more users,
contributors, activity on all fronts and much more content).
Working with sourceforge.net SSH access was the painful part as it was
slow and not having a CSS theme used (and tested) by many other websites
made the process brittle and time-consuming.

I wished there had been time to bring the topic on the mailing-list
before doing the switch but v4.0 timing made that hard and I've also
taken great care to not lose anything in the process. Any constructive
criticism is welcome; don't hesitate.

--
Adrien Nader