Edward Diener <eldlistmaili...@tropicsoft.com>
writes:

>> Apparently those programmers are not so inconvenienced as you are by
>> having to use methods like the .bat mentioned above. And I can assure
>> you that some of those programmers have quite a few gcc installs on
>> their machines, that they use on a regular basis.
>
> You are much better than the original mingw installations but your
> reliance on having to set the PATH rather than have a direct invocation
> work correctly is a real PITA.

As I mentioned on other message on this thread, you must set PATH
anyways for executing the resulting binaries of your compilation. There
is no possible workaround for this, other than installing libwinpthread,
libstdc++ and co. on a directory that already is on PATH. But that would
preclude having more than one MinGW(-w64) installed on your system,
among other problems.

>>>From what I recall, Visual Studio is even worse on this regard, as it
>> requires setting some environment variables with paths to work. That's
>> what vcvars32.bat does. How do you deal with multiple VS installs from
>> the command line? Or you just use the IDE? I'm succesfully using the
>> .bat method described above for multiple installs of VS and Mingw-w64.
>
> As my beloved mother used to say when I was a kid, "Just because your
> friend Johnny wants to jump off the top of the Empire State building
> does that mean you have to do it too?"

That's not an answer to my question: how do you deal with multiple
installs of VS? (I'm sure you have several of them, unless you use
multiple machines, one for each)

To recap: what you are experiencing is not a consequence of oversight or
lazyness from the MinGW(-w64) developers, but the less annoying solution
for the problem of installing one or more MinGW(-w64) instances without
causing havoc.