> I believe it is best outside of the CRT's build process actually.
> If you require it as part of the CRT's build, you'll have to build it
> first which will be an issue for native builds. Sure you could build the
> CRT without and then rebuild it with it but it's not very friendly to
> make the compiler bootstrap chain longer (there's already GCC [possibly
> twice], binutils, the CRT [possibly the headers separately],
> winpthreads, and soon genlib once).
> I believe it is better to keep its build separate but be able to do
> something similar to:
>   ./configure --with-mingw-w64-sources=.....
> And it would build itself as it currently does and would then build the
> .lib files too.

Great work. Please go ahead and merge new tool to master.
> I agree to Adrien's comment that this tool should be also buildable by
> different hosts. So we shouldn't bind its build on Windows-targets
> only.

Just to clear things up here.

I intend to include the source into the mingw-w64-tools folder so building
for any host should not be a problem.

As for the option I just would like a configure option in the crt to force
using it instead of dlltool.
 ./configure --use-genlib
It should not affect the current building in anyway and can be enabled by
choice.

Does my explanation this make sense?