On Mon, Oct 03, 2016, David Wohlferd wrote:
> On 10/2/2016 6:38 PM, JonY wrote:
> >On 10/3/2016 06:37, David Wohlferd wrote:
> >>So, my testing didn't turn up any problems.  The patch is pretty
> >>big (1,389,398), so I have compressed it and uploaded it to
> >>http://www.LimeGreenSocks.com/gen2.7z (where it is only 82,083).
> >>
> >>Just a reminder: Despite the size, this is 100% regenerated code,
> >>mostly in the build-aux directories.
> >>
> >>Comments (especially about whether we need the beta config.guess)
> >>welcome.  What needs to happen to get this approved to Push?
> >>

> I'm sorry, I'm a bit thick.  Can you clarify?
>
> >Since it is all regenerated code, I'm OK with it.
>
> Is this the same as "approved to push?"
>
> >config.guess is
> >nice, but not essential, no one has complained about unsupported
> >platforms, yet.
>
> Does this mean you want to use the most-recently-released version?
> Or the beta version (which is even more recent)?  The patch I posted
> uses the released version.  But it could be that "no one has
> complained" because the beta is what is currently checked in.
>
> While an argument can be made for either, my recommendation is to go
> with the 'released,' and only use the beta if there is a specific
> requirement.  But since "going backward" like this might break
> something (maybe someone did complain at some point?), I felt the
> need to ask.
>
> My tests were with the 'released' version, but I'm prepared to
> re-test if the beta is preferred.  As the "approver," I assume you
> decide?
>
> I believe that if I update config.guess, I'm supposed to update
> config.sub too (not knowing the answer to this is another reason to
> stick with the 'released' version).  I have attached a patch for
> config.guess + config.sub to show what has changed.  Note that this
> is going backwards (turning the 'beta' into the 'most recently
> released').

I quickly went through the diff and I've found the following:

>  +    amd64:MSYS*:*:* | x86_64:MSYS*:*:*)
>  +       echo x86_64-unknown-msys
>  +       exit ;;

There are also changes that could be related to ARM support ("earm").

Oh and iOS and ASM.js but I think they don't matter much to us (although
maybe we'll soon have that portable POSIX environment in javascript and
we'll build boost with it).

Most of the diff is either quoting or removed and added platforms but
there are also a couple other changes.

I think it's safer to keep the version that is currently checked in. I
prefer versions from released tarballs but sometimes we'll also need to
handle new platforms. For these cases, I'm perfectly fine with
unreleased versions (autotools perfectly enables such usecases) but I'd
like to see a request somewhere or a slightly more complete commit
message (i.e. "adds support for X and Y") so it's easier to track in the
future.

--
Adrien Nader