-----Original Message-----
From: Mateusz Mikuła
Sent: Saturday, March 11, 2017 12:17 PM
To: mingw-w64-public@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Mingw-w64-public] mkdir and MINGW_ATTRIB_DEPRECATED_MSVC2005

> POSIX mkdir() is deprecated in favor of _mkdir() [1] and the reason of
> deprecation is already explained here [2].

So ... how do I see the associated "deprecation" warning when compiling a
program that contains a call to "mkdir" ?

========================
C:\_32\C>type try.c

#include <stdio.h>
#include <direct.h>

int main(void) {
  mkdir("foo");
  printf("done\n");
  return 0;
}

C:\_32\C>gcc -o try.exe try.c -Wall

C:\_32\C>gcc -o try.exe try.c -Wdeprecated

C:\_32\C>gcc -o try.exe try.c -Wpedantic

C:\_32\C>gcc --version
gcc (i686-posix-sjlj-rev1, Built by MinGW-W64 project) 6.3.0

> [1] https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms235326(v=vs.140).aspx
> [2] https://stackoverflow.com/a/33358701/5940067

It initially amused me to think that [2] should be classified as an
explanation - as it tells us that MS did something that was perhaps
unnecessary (which doesn't really "explain" why they did it).
But of course, in the broader sense of the meaning of "explanation", it does
provide informative elaboration.

Cheers,
Rob