On 07.03.2019 11:26, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> El día Wednesday, March 06, 2019 a las 11:20:05AM -0800, David Grayson
> escribió:
>
>> Your experience matches mine: the Cygwin ldd utility does not work properly
>> with MinGW DLLs and prints a bunch of question marks.  There is an ntldd
>> utility you can use instead.  If it's not on your path already, I'm not
>> sure the best way to obtain it.  I just use MSYS2, because it's basically a
>> fork of Cygwin that makes it easy to install MinGW compilers and all the
>> other open source utilities you would need to build software on Linux,
>> including ntldd.
>
> David, thanks for your reply. Does this mean I could move to a Linux system
> with Mingw-w64 to produce the DLL for Windows there? This would be the first
> option as I do know less as nothing about Windows, but 30++ years about
> UNIX :-)

You must have heard of cross-compilation in all these 30++ years.
Cross-compilation is less convenient than using MSYS (since you have to have
buildsystem support, and be careful not to grab non-cross tools), but if you
are the developer of the program(s) you are compiling, and know your way around
autotools (or whatver buildsystem you're using) then it's perfectly doable.

Though that's not what David meant. He meant using MSYS (MSYS2, specifically),
which is, basically, Cygwin with <strikeout>serial numbers filed
off</strikeout> a few small changes that allow developers to trivially mix
native (GCC and binutils, specifically) and non-native (bash and perl,
specifically, for autotools) programs on Windows for the purpose of compiling
native Windows stuff.

If you use Cygwin to build native Windows software, you're cross-compiling. So
unless you need to do testing or do something else that involves running the
stuff you compile right after you get it, there's no advantage in
cross-compiling in Cygwin, as opposed to cross-compiling from Debian or
somesuch (and even then, you can achieve that on Linux too, by using Wine, it's
just more work than running Cygwin on Windows).