On Tue, Jul 16, 2019 at 2:53 AM Martin Storsjö <mar...@martin.st> wrote:

> > What I don't understand is why there isn't a simple "#if WINVER >=
> > 0x0501" so that applications that are specifically built to run on
> > older systems can still run.
>
> Why? Because it was everybody's expectation that we only needed to support
> XP.

To be pedantic, we only ever officially supported XP64 as the base OS,
which is the 32-bit equivalent of Server 2003.  32-bit XP is actually
on an older kernel than 2k3 and XP64.

Also, to be more pedantic... the OP talks about applications built to
run on older systems.  You can certainly change the header in your own
version and build for an older system and it should work.  You're just
on your own for support.