Hi,

On Mon, 7 Mar 2022, Pali Rohár wrote:

There are more variants of msvcrt runtime libraries and mingw-w64
currently does not build import library for each variant. Some variants
are available in all Windows versions as system libraries, some are
available only via external redistributable package.

Build import libraries also for msvcrt10.dll, msvcrt20.dll,
msvcrt40.dll, msvcr70.dll and msvcr71.dll runtime libraries during
mingw-w64 build procedure.

With these patches it is possible for application or plugin compiled
by mingw-w64 to link with any of these dll libraries.

If e.g. existing application was compiled by Visual Studio 2003 and it
supports loadable plugins, then new plugin may be developed and compiled
by mingw-w64 with linking to msvcr71.dll (Visual Studio 2003 CRT) via
libmsvcr71.a import library, which is build by this patch series.

Hmm. I'm not very thrilled about adding these extra DLL targets - but they doesn't seem to add too much of an extra burden either (especially as they are only for i386 and not for x86_64). Principally, I'm more ok with adding support for the ones that are shipped in Windows than the ones that has to be redistributed separately. I do know we have import libraries for a couple such ones though - I'm not sure how well tested they are though. Some of them were added for specific needs (like msvcr120_app for early WinStore applications), but others, I'm not sure if they've ever been used much/at all (and at times, I've considered if we should clean them out).

For these ones you're proposing to add, do you have a specific real concrete usecase, or is it just for completeness? (The cases with building plugins for apps linked with a specific CRT sounds mostly hypothetical to me, but if it's something you're actually doing, I'd be interested to hear about it. And even then, I guess any CRT should work as long as there's no CRT resources shared over the DLL boundaries.)

So in short - I'm not strongly opposed to these patches and I don't have any strong reason why they shouldn't be merged, but I'd like to hear more about the actual motivation behind the patches.

// Martin