On Mon, 3 Apr 2023, Biswapriyo Nath wrote:

If not, couldn't the lib32 variant also be omitted?

I am not sure about that. There is a rule `lib32/lib%.a:
lib-common/%.def` in mingw-w64-crt/Makefile.am. I am not certain that
the build system will grab the lib-common one when lib32 is absent.

That's exactly how it's supposed to work at least.

For most libraries in lib32, we have a separate copy due to the stdcall suffixes, but for the ones where there are no such suffixes (like msvcrt and ucrt) we already use the copies from lib-common.

If we wanted to spend more effort on it, we could also handle the stdcall suffixes with templates, to allow sharing def files across all architectures.

// Martin