On Fri, 10 Feb 2017 13:10:20 +0000 (UTC), Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> That’s ksh88 where you(r customer) come(s) from?

Our previous products included ksh93.

> >> We have the echo you mean in POSIX mode though…
> >
> >Not sure what you mean here. I see that the echo command behavior is
> >changed if Flag(FPOSIX), but I can't seem to be able to set that flag
> >(I tried "export POSIX=1" but that doesn't seem to change anything?)
>
> “set -o posix” ;-)

Got it, thanks.

> >(...)
> >For reference, here is the patch I came up with. The idea is to jump to
> >the "echo" command handling code a soon as we see -R. The rest of the
> >changes is to remove po.pminusminus as it is no longer needed. Known
>
> That’s about what I’d have done as well (unless the BSD echo
> behaves different from classical echo in which 'print -R -ex'
> would be the same as 'print -r -- -ex'; the alternative would
> be to parse the -e from -ex and only then output it, turning
> it into 'print -- -ex'). This is why some investigation is
> likely still needed.

I don't think it makes sense to consider one half of a parameter as an
option and the other half as a non-option. And definitely not to handle
a given letter as an option and then still printing it... "-e" is not
necessarily relevant as ksh93's print command doesn't support it in the
first place, but I tested "-n":

$ print -R -nx
-nx
$

So it only treats -n as an option if not mixed with unsupported option
letters. That is exactly what mksh does for the echo command, and I
think we should stick to that for consistency.

> If I take your patch, do you wish to have your name added to
> the list of copyright holders at the top of the file?

No need, this is only a minor contribution.

> >caveat: -E would be handled as a valid option, while it was not
>
> True, but that can be circumvented.

Sure it can. My patch was more of a proof-of-concept (one of many, I
tried different approaches before) and details can be discussed.

Thanks for your time,
--
Jean Delvare
SUSE L3 Support