On Thu, Feb 23, 2017 at 10:57:22PM -0000, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> I have absolutely no idea where that comes from, or how to
> debug it. I suspect mpg123 lives for a bit longer after the ^C
> and messes up tty state after the shell tried to restore it.
> Or, there is a race condition in the shell making it not
> restore this properly after the signal (which, after all, the
> shell does get).

I can't reproduce it, mksh R54 with mpg123 1.23.4 work well.
Have you tried to switch the output module with the '-o' option?
The default is likely to be pulseaudio, maybe mpg123 sometimes
struggles to deal with it. That's just an idea, of course, but I
would try alsa for a while. :)

Take care,
Seb.