Martijn Dekker dixit:

>Then the documentation is not consistent with the intended behaviour. If
>it's intended that any argument ending in an unquoted sequence =~, given
>to any command, is subject to tilde expansion, the documentation should
>describe exactly that behaviour.

Good point. I’ll update the manpage to be more explicit.

The Korn Shell (although I’ve not recherched whether this also applies
to AT&T ksh88 and/or ksh93) has historically enabled tilde expansion
after an unquoted (at least I hope!) equals sign, and tab completion
also after an unquoted colon.

I’ll try to put that into manpage wording RSN.

Do note that tilde stuff has become more expand-y recently due to a
change for better POSIX conformance, too. See:

http://www.mirbsd.org/cvs.cgi/src/bin/mksh/dot.mkshrc.diff?r1=1.102;r2=1.103

I wonder what POSIX has to say about your tilde issue…

bye,
//mirabilos
--
> emacs als auch vi zum Kotzen finde (joe rules) und pine für den einzig
> bedienbaren textmode-mailclient halte (und ich hab sie alle ausprobiert). ;)
Hallooooo, ich bin der Holger ("Hallo Holger!"), und ich bin ebenfalls
... pine-User, und das auch noch gewohnheitsmäßig ("Oooooooohhh").  [aus dasr]