On 05/02/15 20:23, peter green wrote:
On 05/02/15 09:37, Per Jessen wrote:
IPv6 geo location data is becoming available, see e.g.

http://www.tcpiputils.com/ipv6-geolocation-database

ATM, mirrorbrain doesn't seem to make use of any IPv6 geo location data?
(at least not for download.opensuse.org)

I'm fairly sure mirrorbrain can use ipv6 geolocation data if it's set up
to do so. My install certainly does.

Having said that the maxmind geoipv6 data seems to be fairly crap, for
example it seems to geolocate all freenet6 addresses to canada. The
database you link to seems to have the same problem (at least from the
headline it gives me).

Partial, semi accurate data is better than none - looking up my ipv6 prefixes gave me accurate information from the database above.

Building a geolocation database from whois data is one thing but an
accurate geolocation database requires you to go further than that since
the country where an IP block is registered in the whois database may not
be the country the IPs are used in.

My understanding is that is usually done from routing info. (e.g. RIPE objects).

 what do you see if you use ipv6 to browse to

http://mirrordirector.raspbian.org/raspbian/pool/main/0/0ad-data/0ad-data-common_0.0.17-1_all.deb.mirrorlist

I get two local mirrors, 23 in Europe. Looks good, much better than what I get at download.opensuse.org.

TBH, I probably posted my question with a poor assumption of mirrorbrain == download.opensuse.org. The mirror redirection at raspbian.org is much better than at download.opensuse.org.

cheers