Ah ok cool, that also brings to mind a question I asked a while ago. Does
someone know when we should expect a new stable version of apache ?

Andrew

-----Original Message-----
From: jason andrade [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 03, 10, 2001 3:51 PM
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: RE: compiling apache with sendfile support?

On Wed, 3 Oct 2001, Andrew Kenna wrote:

> Really dumb question, but what is sendfile

sorry - i should have been less obtuse.  sendfile(2) is a system call which
reduces the overhead of file transfers by an application by offering data
transfer directly between file descriptors (i guess you could think of it
as an end to end pipe).

i believe apache 2.0 offers some level of sendfile support but i've been
unable to find any references to 1.3.20 having patches available.

sendfile is implemented on Linux/2.2 and FreeBSD that i know of (and
probably other opensource OSes).

regards,

-jason