[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Fri, May 06, 2005 at 10:23:38AM +1000, Rod.. Whitworth wrote:

Saw this today:http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3502786

Haven't found a licence yet to see how "free" it really is but it
<sounds> like progress.

Anyone know more/better ?

   "This is not the first time Atheros has contributed to open source
   coffers. The company already has a few projects available through the
   independent madwifi project."

madwifi is not free software. atheros never contributed to free
software. indeed, they antagonised against any efforts to implement
a free driver for their chipsets.

but there are some powerful and open-minded competitors from taiwan
and atheros gets into serious trouble. so they start some pseudo open
source projects to get some good pr.

if atheros would be seriously interested in supporting "open source"
projects, they could send us a mail with all of their specs and
hardware documentation for the ARxxxx radios and macs.

this will likely never happen.

reyk

I, for one, appreciate all the work you've done with the Atheros chipset. I am able to use my wireless card because of your awesome contributions.

If you know of someone I can contact, I'd be happy to petition for specs and hardware documentation. I paid good money for this stupid card and if Atheros won't help, I'll ship it to you for your continued efforts and I'll buy something else.

rvb