On Fri, 06 May 2005 16:58:39 -0600, Abraham Al-Saleh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I should additionally add (sorry about that), that it's not something
>that hasn't been considered in the past, and I'm considering it again, I
>just need to weigh costs for this with the costs for making our internet
>connection redundant, as well as the man power required, time it will
>take, and risks associated with each, which is why I came to the list
>asking for more information on using openbgpd, or bgp in particular.

Abe,

I suggest you reconsider your stance on collocation. The answer (due
to HIPPA) may not be a "provider" of collocation facilities but
actually having another physical site controlled by your company. I
haven't actually read all of the HIPPA requirements but due to
friends, I've got a good idea how much of a pain in the ass they can
be.

The reason for collocating is logical. Sure, you may have a pair of
APC Matrix 5000 units and a generator at your current site... -But
heck, even my garage has the very same equipment! The difference is
life and death decisions are not made based on the ability to access
the machines in my garage. In your business, any inability to access
medical records could cause people to die. You're in a totally
different league and have to face a ton of liability if something goes
wrong.

Let's say you go through the expense of full redundancy at your single
site and when I say "full" I mean everything from multiple power drops
from different chunks of the local grids, to at least pairs of
generators, custom redundant wiring/circuits, staged UPS's all the way
down the proverbial power line to the CPU's... -You're still
vulnerable. The reason is simple, anything from a major disaster in
Farmington Utah, to something as trivial as a fiber cut (i.e. someone
with a backhoe accidentally ripping out network lines), you're still
hosed.

Having multiple sites is the same logic as having redundant APC Matrix
5K units but it's applied on a more effective scale; If one gets
hosed, you cross your fingers and hope the second will pick up the
load. If you have only one site, you still have a single point of
failure regardless of how many redundant lines you attach to it.

I understand the costs involved with having a second site, but in
general the industry understands HIPPA compliance is expensive and
worse yet, liability is even more expensive. The multi-site
redundancy, though costly, would be a sales advantage due to the
reduced liability it offers. Even if you can not afford to do it now,
it would still be worthwhile to have "plans" in place on how it
(eventually) will be done. If the legal department of some HMO
client/partner requires site redundancy, you add implementing your
plan to the costs of their contract... ;-)

JCR