On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 03:59:57AM +0200, Per Engelbrecht wrote:
| >So that's a good hint that you should be able to use CCD during
| >install. I'd suggest (as suggested earlier) first installing /var on /
| >(as it's only ~10MB). Then, when the installer finishes, you can
| >simply enter your newly installed system with
| >
| >     $ /mnt/usr/sbin/chroot /mnt
|
| Hmm, normally when moving content of a partition (not often) I prepare
| the disklabel, boot into single-user mode and do a simple tar->cpio
| operation before dealing with 'fstab' and reboot ... I'm not quite sure
| I get your point about the /mnt/usr/sbin/chroot ?!
| It's the path plus 'chroot' I'm thinking about.

>From your original mail I understood you wanted to create the CCD
during install :

> Is it possible to build a ccd during install ?

So what this means is that if you are installing your amd64-system
from a RAMDISK or RAMDISK_CD kernel, you have a kernel that supports
CCD. Then you can, when the installer is done (and you get the
"Congratulations, you have successfully installed OpenBSD" message)
you can enter your freshly installed system using chroot(8) as found
in /usr/sbin/chroot (so it's in /mnt/usr/sbin/chroot before you chroot
to /mnt). After the chroot, you can add users, configure the boot
procedure (rc.conf.local/ntpd.conf/sysctl.conf/fstab/sudoers/etc.) and
do all sorts of other stuff. Including creating a CCD, adding the
newly created CCD to /etc/fstab, mounting it on /var/ and copying the
data from the install to it.

I don't think this is easily possible from the installer (It'll
probably take up quite a bit of space on the bootmedia for very little
gain - your setup, although very nice, is not very common I think), so
you can work around this "shortcomming" of the installer by doing some
pre-boot work within a chroot.

| I'm with you (almost) all the way :)

I hope the above clears things up a bit ;)

Cheers,

Paul 'WEiRD' de Weerd

                 http://www.weirdnet.nl/